French Onion Soup with Gruyére
French Onion Soup with Guryére
Caramelizing the onions first makes the flavor sing! Gruyère and French bread will make you say “oui” to this soup!
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Large Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Tablespoons Brandy
- 4 Slices Crusty French Bread, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 1 1/2 Cups Gruyère Cheese
1. Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, stirring frequently, for 35 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in beef broth and bay leaf, scraping up browned bits, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Stir in brandy.
2. Set oven to broil. Place French bread slices on sheet pan, and top with shredded Gruyére, packed tightly. Broil until bubbly, and slightly browned. Ladle soup into bowls and top with French bread.